About Me and My Blog

I am a Christian wife, mother, grandmother, teacher, friend and who ever else I am. I have been married for thirty-one years to my best friend, Greg. We live in a small town in East Texas. I am the FCS County Extension Agent. I enjoy sewing, camping, gardening, spending time with family, traveling, riding with Greg on his motorcycle. I am learning about beekeeping, soapmaking, rainwater catchment and other farmish type activities.
The name of my blog comes from a sermon I heard once about a time when Paul had been arrested and was being taken to Rome as a prisoner. The ship, on which he traveled found safe harbor, for the winter, at a place called Fairhaven. The captain of the ship wasn't content with staying so he set sail again and later was ship wrecked. I apply this to my life in that I want to be content with where God has me and what he has for me. If I am not I may end up like the ship that carried Paul, shipwrecked.

Monday, January 16, 2012

Bits of my weekend

It is nice to have a long weekend, I was able to get some things done as well as play around and do nothing.


Saturday, I was coming home from Jasper and looked into a field as I was passing and there was an Eagle.  It was just sitting in the field with some blackbirds.  I turned around and took some pictures.  I knew we had some up around the lake, but I never expected to see one sunning in a pasture just outside of town.





After two hurricanes blowing junk weed into our yard, a drought, and Greg and me working full time, our yard is a mess.  Not to mention Greg doesn't just dislike yard work he HATES it.  We have this vine stuff that grows on the ground and when it is mowed it burns your nose, eyes, and lungs.  I call it pepper weed. 
Greg wants to get Round Up and spray it to kill it, but I don't want all that poison in my yard.  So, I decided to get rid of it I was going to have to dig up each one and get the roots.  I started yesterday evening and worked on it some this morning.  I may go back out in a little while and get some more.
As I was digging I kept coming upon different things in the ground.  These are my treasures.
Now why did that picture come up sideways?  Oh well, I found several nails, part of an old coffee can, some broken glass and plate.  The clear bottle is an old Karo syrup bottle (it is stamped on the bottom)  it is broken a little at the mouth.  The little amber colored bottle is in perfect shape.  I have found different things in our yard every since we first moved here.  Our dog is always digging up something.  It is usually broken glass, but I have found several bottles in good condition and he once dug up an old roller skate.  There is an old house next door to ours.  Our lot used to be a part of their yard.  I figure the back part of our yard was where they dumped their trash.  I may just have to start and excavation project.  There is no telling what I may find.
Well, I really need to clean off my kitchen table, but I might just go watch an episode of the Walton's.  I love that show, it always makes me cry.  I have this gigantic ham in the oven; I don't know how Greg and I will ever eat it all.  We may be oinking before the week is up.

2 comments:

Candy C. said...

How cool to see the eagle! :)
I used to do some archaeology work with the Forest Service so I just LOVE seeing your treasures!
It seems like I remember if the picture is sideways in your camera when you review/view it, then it will come out that way unless you rotate it using Zoombrowser or something like it...I think. LOL!!

Unknown said...

You can cover the weeds with black plastic, and it will die. Cover about 2 months or so. The lack of water and light will kill them...