About Me and My Blog

I am a Christian wife, mother, grandmother, teacher, friend and who ever else I am. I have been married for thirty-one years to my best friend, Greg. We live in a small town in East Texas. I am the FCS County Extension Agent. I enjoy sewing, camping, gardening, spending time with family, traveling, riding with Greg on his motorcycle. I am learning about beekeeping, soapmaking, rainwater catchment and other farmish type activities.
The name of my blog comes from a sermon I heard once about a time when Paul had been arrested and was being taken to Rome as a prisoner. The ship, on which he traveled found safe harbor, for the winter, at a place called Fairhaven. The captain of the ship wasn't content with staying so he set sail again and later was ship wrecked. I apply this to my life in that I want to be content with where God has me and what he has for me. If I am not I may end up like the ship that carried Paul, shipwrecked.

Thursday, January 1, 2009

Christmas


The tradition around our house for years has been, Christmas Eve in San Augustine with my family and Christmas day in Kirbyville with Greg's family. Well, I can see a change in the future; with Courtney getting married we now have a whole other family to consider. So, by next year Courtney and Darrell will have to decide where they want to go when. Even though all of our families live within an hour, they are still not going to want to stay on the road the entire holiday. I told Courtney I didn't care if we had our time together Christmas Eve, Christmas day, or some other time; just so we have some time. This year we got together on Saturday after Christmas and had breakfast. Darrell wanted him and Greg to do something together on this day, but the weather prohibited much, so, they put up a motion detection light in our backyard. Now, when Chisum barks I can see if there is anyone in the backyard.
The table is the table I set for our breakfast. I like to decorate with winter decorations and snowmen, that way I can use them on into January.
For breakfast we had normal breakfast food and one dish some of my black students taught me. The recipe goes like this.
Sausage, eggs and rice
1. Cook a cup of rice.
2. Cook a pound of pan sausage.
3. Combine the rice and sausage in a pan with oil.
4. Scramble several eggs in a bowl and add to rice and sausage mixture.
5. Cook until eggs are cooked.
It may not sound good, but is quite tasty.

No comments: