About Me and My Blog

I am a Christian wife, mother, grandmother, teacher, friend and who ever else I am. I have been married for thirty-one years to my best friend, Greg. We live in a small town in East Texas. I am the FCS County Extension Agent. I enjoy sewing, camping, gardening, spending time with family, traveling, riding with Greg on his motorcycle. I am learning about beekeeping, soapmaking, rainwater catchment and other farmish type activities.
The name of my blog comes from a sermon I heard once about a time when Paul had been arrested and was being taken to Rome as a prisoner. The ship, on which he traveled found safe harbor, for the winter, at a place called Fairhaven. The captain of the ship wasn't content with staying so he set sail again and later was ship wrecked. I apply this to my life in that I want to be content with where God has me and what he has for me. If I am not I may end up like the ship that carried Paul, shipwrecked.

Friday, January 16, 2009

Books














These are the bookshelves in our living room. The books are only a part of my collection; others are strategically piled here and there. Sometimes I sit and look at the books on the shelves, remembering when I bought them and the events of my life around that time. Some of the books other people have given me and it is an opportunity to remember them and the part they have played in my life. So basically, my bookshelves are an historical account of my life.



I have books that were my mother's when she was a child, and others that were mine and finally those that were Courtney's. There are books on gardening, sewing, building, others that were used in home schooling. We have Bible study books, biographies, christian living and more. I don't just buy a book and stick it on the shelf. I quite regularly pull out a book I have read before and go through it again. I don't care much for fiction, so I can learn something from most all of them.



There is one book that is a copy of my great great grandfather's autobiography. Colonial Alexander Horton; first sheriff of San Augustine, TX and aide to General Sam Houston at the Battle of San Jancinto.



Courtney has developed a love for books as well. She collects a lot of children's books and has quite a few signed copies. She has two books signed by the famous author and illustrator, Tasha Tudor and one book awaiting signing by an up and coming author, Rees Pearson.





No comments: