About Me and My Blog

I am a Christian wife, mother, grandmother, teacher, friend and who ever else I am. I have been married for thirty-one years to my best friend, Greg. We live in a small town in East Texas. I am the FCS County Extension Agent. I enjoy sewing, camping, gardening, spending time with family, traveling, riding with Greg on his motorcycle. I am learning about beekeeping, soapmaking, rainwater catchment and other farmish type activities.
The name of my blog comes from a sermon I heard once about a time when Paul had been arrested and was being taken to Rome as a prisoner. The ship, on which he traveled found safe harbor, for the winter, at a place called Fairhaven. The captain of the ship wasn't content with staying so he set sail again and later was ship wrecked. I apply this to my life in that I want to be content with where God has me and what he has for me. If I am not I may end up like the ship that carried Paul, shipwrecked.

Saturday, January 17, 2009

Today Greg and I went to Galveston to check out the damage from Hurricane Ike. While there I found the beach house my family use to own when I was little. It sure use to seem larger. It looks a little sad, but is still standing after 50 years. This part of the island didn't seem to have a lot of damage. On the seawall Murdock's is completely gone as well as the restaurant that was next to it. The Flagship Hotel is a wreck and has holes in some of the walls. One of the ramps going up to the hotel is completely gone and the other one is almost gone. The 61st St. pier is gone and almost every single store on the Strand is closed. There was a line drawn on one of the buildings showing the water level and it was over the top of our truck. Other than that the main damage we saw on the island was just where people were cleaning out houses that had had water in them. I had it pictured a lot worse than it was, but of course it has been four months. The real damage was on the Bolivar Pensisula as you can see below.






These were two houses on the beach in one of the subdivisions.


















These four pictures are just various houses around Crystal Beach. There was more left there than I had pictured. Gilchrist was a different story though there was only one house left in Rollover Pass. There was debris every where as you can see below.












This is on Highway 87 just as you turn on to it coming from High Island. Use to there were sand dunes here and you couldn't see the ocean much. Now it is just flat and sand is everywhere. On the entire peninsula that is what looked so strange; very little greenery just sand.








No comments: