About Me and My Blog

I am a Christian wife, mother, grandmother, teacher, friend and who ever else I am. I have been married for thirty-one years to my best friend, Greg. We live in a small town in East Texas. I am the FCS County Extension Agent. I enjoy sewing, camping, gardening, spending time with family, traveling, riding with Greg on his motorcycle. I am learning about beekeeping, soapmaking, rainwater catchment and other farmish type activities.
The name of my blog comes from a sermon I heard once about a time when Paul had been arrested and was being taken to Rome as a prisoner. The ship, on which he traveled found safe harbor, for the winter, at a place called Fairhaven. The captain of the ship wasn't content with staying so he set sail again and later was ship wrecked. I apply this to my life in that I want to be content with where God has me and what he has for me. If I am not I may end up like the ship that carried Paul, shipwrecked.

Friday, September 2, 2011

Summer days are gone

Well, summer has passed and we are back in school.  I have some very good classes and I am excited to be teaching more Home Ec. classes this year.  We have a new class called Family and Community Services.  The main point in the class is teaching the students to get involved in the community through community service projects and volunteering.  It is a real challenge for me because I am not exactly sure what all we will do.  the fiirst thing we did was look at things through the eyes of our student in a wheelchair.  We went around the school trying to see things from his perspective.  After doing this we sent a letter to the principal making suggestions on what should be done to make a difference for our student.  He told me some of these would be considered.  I know my students will be excited and I hope motivated to do more when they see things changing that they have suggested.
I have learned something about myself.  One of the first things I am going to teach are leadership skills and qualities.  Through my studying I have learned I am not a leader.  Really, I have known this for a long time.  I would much rather follow than lead.  What I have learned though is that I need to be a leader in more areas of my life.  So, not only will my students be learning; I will, too.
Tonight, is our first football game.  We are playing Kirbyville.  It has been three years since Newton beat Kirbyville sooooo we are hoping we win.

1 comment:

Candy C. said...

Sounds like you will have a fun and challenging year in school! Hope ya'll win the football game! :)